I just came across some interesting data on the geographic popularity of social networking sites, check it:
- Facebook is most popular in Turkey and Canada.
- Friendster and Imeem are most popular in the Philippines.
- LinkedIn is most popular in India.
- Twitter is most popular in Japan.
- LiveJournal is more popular in Russia than it is in the United States.
- Orkut is more popular in Iran (10th country popularity-wise) than it is in the United States.
- MySpace is the only social network which is most popular in the United States.
- MySpace, LinkedIn, LiveJournal, Xanga, and Twitter are the only social networks in this survey which have the United States in their top five countries, popularity-wise. That is just five out of twelve.
This is quite interesting because I first started using Facebook last summer when I met two Canadians while traveling in Turkey. Go figure!
My buddy Zizzle and I have trying to figure out who is using Orkut. We suspected it was Brazil, but in fact, Iran is where it's at. The CIA better get on that!
Now why is Twitter more popular in Japan? Perhaps the Japanese are known for tight engineering and making do within small spaces. Hello Twitter!
I'd also like to take this opportunity to give a shouout to my friend Brad who created LiveJounal and then sold it to the Russians. Holla!
I guess Vegan Passions is still making it's way onto the chart.